- HCA East Florida has protocols in place to care for patients with infectious diseases and we are prepared for potential issues related to COVID-19. As part of HCA Healthcare, one of the nation’s leading providers of healthcare, we are uniquely positioned to leverage our resources to provide support and solutions to our patients, colleagues and communities to meet the demands of this rapidly evolving situation.
- Colleagues responsible for patient care have been provided training on the safe, effective and responsible use of personal protective equipment (PPE). Our hospitals have prioritized negative pressure rooms equipped to handle patients with airborne and droplet precautions consistent with CDC guidelines.
- HCA East Florida is continually evolving emergency preparedness and surge plans to meet potential need.
- We continue to work in partnership with the Florida Department of Health Services and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention for the well-being and safety of all those we serve.
- Our team of exceptional physicians, experienced nurses and staff continue to care for every type of medical need in our community.
- HCA East Florida is working in partnership with the Florida Department of Health to ensure that we are able to effectively identify and care for possible patients with COVID-19. We are adhering to the CDC's protocols regarding potential COVID-19 cases, which includes isolating individuals with symptoms of lower respiratory illness to ensure the safety of our patients, staff and visitors
- While in our care, patients experiencing severe symptoms are provided with an appropriate bed in our intensive care or medical/surgical units, I/V fluids, supplemental oxygen as needed, medications as needed, proper nutrition and other symptomatic treatments.
Restricted Visitor Access and Screening
As COVID-19 continues to be a risk to the general public, HCA East Florida remains committed to taking proactive measures to ensure the safety of staff, patients and visitors. We are implementing the following guidelines as a result:
No visitors will be allowed at HCA East Florida facilities until further notice
All individuals will be screened upon entry. Anyone who does not meet the screening criteria will not be allowed in the facility.
Employee safety and security:
- All HCA East Florida colleagues are monitoring their health and have affirmed to follow the HCA Healthcare policy on Communicable Disease Preparation, which mandates that colleagues who report to work, by entering the facility, attest that they do not have symptoms of a contagious illness.
- For the safety and security of our patients, caregivers, and volunteers, we are placing a hold on volunteer assignments across all of HCA East Florida’s Hospitals.
We all can play a part in protecting our own health as well as the health of family members, vital healthcare providers and the community by remembering to practice good hygiene, including these measures:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue
- Practice good hand hygiene by washing your hands often, using either soap and water or alcohol-based hand gel for at least 20 seconds
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Avoid large crowds and practice social distancing
- Check the CDC website: CoronaVirus.gov for updated information
HIPAA and patient condition updates:
As caregivers, we have a responsibility to protect patient and colleague privacy and are bound by HIPAA regulations regarding the use and disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).