Only one egg and very little margine are used in this bread that has low saturated fat, low cholesterol, and low sodium.
Ingredients and Preparation
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil two 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- Cook apricots in water in a covered medium-size saucepan for 10-15 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain; reserve ¾ cup liquid. Set apricots aside to cool.
- Cream together margarine and sugar. By hand, beat in egg and orange peel.
- Sift together flour, dry milk, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with reserved apricot liquid and orange juice.
- Stir apricot pieces and pecans into batter.
- Turn batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bread springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and completely cool on wire rack before slicing.