Ingredients and Preparation
- Brown meat in oil in heavy skillet. Remove meat and sauté onion in remaining oil until golden. Return meat to skillet. Add water, caraway seeds, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add vinegar and sugar, and stir. Place cabbage on top of meat. Cover and simmer for an added 45 minutes.
- Remove meat and cabbage, arrange on platter, and keep warm.
- Strain drippings from skillet and skim off fat. Add enough water to drippings to yield 1 cup of liquid.
- Return to skillet with crushed gingersnaps. Cook and stir until thickened and mixture boils. Pour over meat and vegetables, and serve.