Ingredients and Preparation
- Place chicken, onion, carrot, celery, salt, pepper, cloves, bay leaf, and water into a large saucepan. Heat to boiling; cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for about ½ hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from broth. Strain broth.
- Skim fat from broth; measure and, if necessary, add water to make 3 cups liquid.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 cup cooled broth by shaking vigorously in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Pour into saucepan with remaining broth; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened.
- Add basil, peas, and reserved vegetables to sauce; stir to combine.
- Add chicken and heat slowly to boiling while preparing corn meal dumplings.
- Sift together corn meal, flour, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together milk and oil. Add milk mixture all at once to dry ingredients; stir just enough to moisten flour and evenly distribute liquid. Dough will be soft.
- Drop by full tablespoons on top of braised meat or stew. Cover tightly; heat to boiling. Reduce heat (do not lift cover) to simmering and steam for about 20 minutes.