GERD happens slowly over time for many reasons. There is no way to prevent it. But, these steps can help:
- If you smoke, talk to your doctor about how you can quit. Quitting will restore blood flow and nerve function to the esophagus.
- Maintain a proper weight. Excess weight puts more pressure on the belly.
- Exercise regularly—Moderate exercise helps with weight control and overall well-being.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 05/2018 -
- Update Date: 08/20/2018 -